August 26th commemorates the 1920 passage granting votes to women in the U.S. Order flowers to decorate your workplace, library or other public facility participating in Women's Equality Day activities. Read more
Five things you can do to honor Women's Equality Day
- Host an event to celebrate the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. Order a bouquet to brighten up the venue.
- Women can honor the day by registering to vote.
- Join an organization such as AAUW Action Network and take a stand on important issues promoting equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Be sure to mentor young women and encourage them to get involved too.
- Avoid gender stereotyping - talk to boys and girls about stereotyping in video games, music, movies, comics, and TV programs. Counter the many stereotypical gender portrayals kids are exposed to with media portrayals of sensitive men and strong women. Point out realistic portrayals of men and women.
- Don't discriminate - treat men and women as equals to ensure that everyone has the same opportunities, rights and obligations in all areas of life.